- Sara, the American wife of a French aristocrat, has had two encounters with her compatriot Cedric Killian, one a youthful idyll in North Carolina and the other during the First World War, when he was a soldier...
- A young Harvard graduate with bright prospects, Bill Frothington is invited on board a steamer hosting a high-school dance, where he meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Mae. As the match is not...
- Set in an unspecified island kingdom, A Regicide tells the story of the statistician Boris who, after the electoral victory of the Church party in the country’s elections, decides to assassinate the King...
- When the publishers of the Pickwick Papers, Chapman & Hall, brought out the anonymous ‘Sketches of Young Ladies’ in 1837, their resounding success prompted the twenty-six-year old Dickens to write, the...
- Sense and Sensibility is the story of the two Dashwood sisters, who embody the conflict between the oppressive nature of “civilized” society and the human desire for romantic passion. Elinor is cautious and...
- Four sailors discover a copper cylinder containing a manuscript written by the adventurer Adam More, who was shipwrecked in the southern hemisphere. They read its contents out to one another, and the...
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer charts the escapades of a thirteen-year-old boy growing up on the banks of the Mississippi. Testing the patience of his aunt Polly, the bold and sharp-witted Tom Sawyer frequently...
- When the descendant of an ancient aristocratic family moves from Massachusetts to Exham Priory, his ancestral home in the south of England, he is plagued by the constant noise of rats scurrying within its...
- Having been found guilty of adultery, Hester Prynne is forced to wear an embroidered scarlet letter “A” as a punishment for her sin. While her vengeful husband embarks on a quest to discover the identity of...
- When Rachel Verinder’s legacy of a priceless Indian diamond is stolen, all the evidence indicates that it is her beloved, Franklin Blake, who is guilty. Around this central axis of crime and thwarted love...
- When the world-weary dandy Eugene Onegin moves from St Petersburg to take up residence in the country estate he has inherited, he strikes up an unlikely friendship with his neighbour, the poet Vladimir Lensky...
- Stevenson published this collection of his early fiction in 1882, after the pieces had appeared in various magazines. The first half features two popular detective-story cycles, The Suicide Club and The...
The Great GatsbyF. Scott Fitzgerald
The Master and MargaritaMikhail Bulgakov
Exercises in StyleRaymond Queneau
Alice's Adventures Under GroundLewis Carroll
Journey to the End of the NightLouis-Ferdinand Céline
Wuthering HeightsEmily Brontë
The Divine ComedyDante Alighieri
- Hard TimesCharles Dickens
- The WavesVirginia Woolf
- Fathers and ChildrenIvan Turgenev
- Diaries of Adam and EveMark Twain
- Paris Spleen and Wine and HashishCharles Baudelaire
- Hadji MuratLeo Tolstoy
- Tess of the d’UrbervillesThomas Hardy
- The Haunted HouseCharles Dickens
- The Whisperer in Darkness and...H.P. Lovecraft
- The AdolescentFyodor Dostoevsky
- The Good SoldierFord Madox Ford
- A Calendar of WisdomLeo Tolstoy