- The Good Soldier tells the stories of two outwardly happy couples who meet at a health spa in Germany just before the start of the First World War, and whose loveless, adultery-ridden relationships are...
- After an accident, Tess Durbeyfield, the daughter of impoverished peasants, decides to call on the aristocratic d’Urbervilles, as she believes that she is also descended from their ancient Norman lineage and...
- When strange things are reported to be floating in rivers in rural Vermont after a flood, old myths about hill-dwelling monsters who abduct humans resurface in subsequent debates, much to the annoyance of...
- Having moved into an abandoned haunted house, the narrator, undaunted by the warnings of the locals, invites a party of friends over; on Twelfth Night he and his guests gather together, and relate the...
- Mark Twain’s gloriously funny Diary of Adam and Eve, which John Updike described as “a paradigm of the relations between sexes”, is presented here with a number of other Twain pieces on our two oldest...
- Hadji Murat, one of the most feared and venerated mountain chiefs in the Caucasian struggle against the Russians, defects from the Muslim rebels after feuding with his ruling imam, Shamil. Hoping to protect...
- Set in a modern, urban Paris, the prose pieces in this volume constitute a further exploration of the terrain Baudelaire had covered in his verse masterpiece, The Flowers of Evil: the city with all its squalor...
- Fathers and Children, arguably the first modern novel in the history of Russian literature, shocked readers when it was first published in 1862 – the controversial character of Bazarov, a self-proclaimed...
- Through a series of connected monologues, The Waves tells the story of six very different friends – Bernard, Louis, Neville, Jinny, Susan and Rhoda – as they progress from childhood to middle age. Interspersed...
- In Hard Times, Dickens illustrates the condition of England through the fictional city of Coketown. Among its inhabitants are Thomas Gradgrind, the utilitarian headmaster who attempts to impose his rigid...
- Sara, the American wife of a French aristocrat, has had two encounters with her compatriot Cedric Killian, one a youthful idyll in North Carolina and the other during the First World War, when he was a soldier...
- A young Harvard graduate with bright prospects, Bill Frothington is invited on board a steamer hosting a high-school dance, where he meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Mae. As the match is not...
The Great GatsbyF. Scott Fitzgerald
The Master and MargaritaMikhail Bulgakov
Exercises in StyleRaymond Queneau
Alice's Adventures Under GroundLewis Carroll
Journey to the End of the NightLouis-Ferdinand Céline
Wuthering HeightsEmily Brontë
The Divine ComedyDante Alighieri
- A Calendar of WisdomLeo Tolstoy
- The Same Old StoryIvan Goncharov
- Tales of Adventure and Medical LifeArthur Conan Doyle
- Selected PoemsW.B. Yeats
- The MotherMaxim Gorky
- Dark AvenuesIvan Bunin
- Image on the Heart and Other...F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Diaboliad and Other Stories by...Mikhail Bulgakov
- A Dog’s HeartMikhail Bulgakov
- The Woman in WhiteWilkie Collins
- PersuasionJane Austen
- The Game of Chess and Other StoriesStefan Zweig